The easiest platform to leverage in the shortest period of time.
WHAT IS TIKTOK?
TikTok is a short-form video-sharing app that allows users to create and share 15- to 60-second videos on any topic.
The TikTok app offers users a wide selection of sounds and song snippets, along with the option to add special effects and filters. You can also upload videos directly from your phone.
The new app is being promoted as a video-sharing social network that allows users to create a variety of videos ranging from challenges, dancing, magic tricks, memes, and more!
TikTok sends personalized recommendations to each user to ensure that TikTokers are updated on the latest trends, highest viewed videos, and never miss out on ideas for new content creation ideas.
WHAT'S YOUR LEVERAGE?
The TikTok app has simplified video creation and sharing by taking it to the next level. All users have to do is record anything and everything from daily routines and post it instantly. Due to the short format, neither the video-creation nor the watching process takes much time or effort.
Additionally, this short-form video content is played as soon as a user opens the app. The videos start playing one-by-one and a viewer gets lost in a sea of fun, entertaining, and addictive video content. Due to this addictive nature of the type of content, it is very easy for people to keep watching random videos for hours.
TikTok does not have any space for traditional display ads and is not even in competition with other social media platforms. However, due to its fast growth and rising popularity, many brands and celebrities are now flocking to TikTok to find new & innovative ways to connect with their audience.
HOW DO YOU POST?
HOW DO YOU GO VIRAL?
1. Every video you create or curate needs to start off strong. You have only a few moments to grab people's attention before they swipe past your video to watch someone else's. If there's no action until the end of the video, most people won't watch to find out. Set the pace in the first few seconds to peak interest.
2. Unless you're telling a lengthy story that requires the full minute available, keep your clips short and to the point. I've found my sweet spot to be in-between 5-11 seconds for comedy and 27-33 seconds for entertainment.
3. It's always a good idea to include trending music or sounds in your videos. People feed off the trends, so find a song/sound that fits with your content. If you can't find a good song/sound, you can choose a trending soundbite and turn the volume to zero. Allowing you to reap the benefit without having the audio ruin your clip.
4. People love learning on TikTok. Life hacks and advice that can be compiled into a mini-lesson perform great. Add in text, bullet points, or closed captions to improve engagements with people who are watching without sound.
5. Ask a question or leave random details unanswered. TikTok users love to point out the little details or leave jokes in the comments (as other users are able to engage with comments too). The more comments you can get, the more engagement you drive, the more likely you are to go viral.
6. Everyone loves to give their two cents on everything. Welcome to the Internet! You don't need to do anything wrong. Find a divide between people and make a statement.
Examples: Pineapples on pizza or the amount of cream cheese on a bagel or ketchup on eggs.
7. In order to drive rewatchability, you need to deliver certain details FAST. There should be a few parts of your clip where the user needs to pause or rewatch to know what's going on. The algorithm starts to work in your favor the longer someone observes your video.
8. Hashtags are helpful, but avoid generic hashtags. Many bloggers & fellow TikTokers will encourage you to use hashtags like #foryou, #fyp, or #xyzbca. DON'T DO THIS. Only use hashtags that are relevant to your content, so the right people get delivered your video.
9. TikTok, like many other social platforms, is a numbers game. Posting more often will give you greater opportunities to go viral. However, you shouldn't skimp on quality to hit your numbers. If you're having a hard time posting a few videos each day, consider replying to comments with a new video (you'll learn about this later).
10. Anything can go viral at a moments notice. Literally ANYTHING. Don't niche down in the very beginning. Play around and experiment with different video styles, sounds, and random things that come to mind. Users won't start paying attention until you build trust, authority, and give them a reason to follow.
WHAT'S MY SECRET FORMULA?
In short, the answer to your virility is memes and content curation surrounding your niche, and you have no say in if they go viral or how BIG they'll be. Although, you know you're on the right track when other TikTok users begin to comment "fyp" or "this deserves more likes" or "viral."
The comments of affirmation don't guarantee your virility, but it shows you there is a audience within your reach that thinks you deserve clout. There are many videos I've published that deserve 1,000,000 views but only get a few thousand (and vice versa).
Be sure to choose a niche that has endless content being created for it, so you don't have to spend a lot of time creating the content yourself. I source most of my content from Reddit or Instagram. The broader you are in the beginning, the better your results will be. Many TikTok influencers don't even begin to do what they "want" until they've hacked their way to 250K+ followers.
At the start of your TikTok journey, it's all a numbers game. Stay within the community guidelines (no illegal stuff) and post 5+ times per day throughout the day.
HOW TO "HACK" TIKTOK?
The algorithm was made to hook you into creating original content for their platform by boosting a handful of your posts (whether they deserve it or not). And there are ways to leverage this boost for even greater exposure.
First, let's talk about likes, comments, shares, and duets...
Likes are more important for the creator to understand what the audience connects with. They prove what you create/share is valuable to someone somewhere. However, they aren't an identifying factor of a viral video. You can have a like-ratio of 40% and never go viral.
It only takes moments to like a video (a double-tap), but a minute to comment. Comments show that the user has gone out of their way to engage with your post, which in turn, keeps them on the app longer. Comments are essential to going viral because comments can also be engaged with: replies, likes, responses.
Shares are obviously more important than both likes and comments as they show the algorithm your post isn't something to scroll past. Every share has the possibility of leading more people to their platform to watch your video, create an account, and start using TikTok. The algorithm loves this.
Duets carry algorithm juice somewhere in between a comment and a share. It really depends on who is duet-ing your video and if they're "adding" to the content you posted. Users with a large following can boost your numbers to new levels. All the engagement they receive to their content will indirectly benefit you.
Live-streams are how you hack the algorithm, but you have to get to 1,000 followers before you get access to the feature. You should find a way to livestream at least once per day after you unlock the ability to do so. It doesn't matter if it is you sitting in a room doing nothing, hard at work ignoring the stream, or rerunning looped stock footage.
Live-streaming pushes your most recent and most popular videos to a wider audience, and then, promotes your livestream to that same audience. TikTok wants to provide their users with variety and entertainment, so a live-stream is another medium to get users to engage and build relationships on the platform.
How does it work?
1. Your past content is shown to an audience that might be interested.
2. The user continues to scroll into the next video.
3. The following video (3rd) is a preview of your livestream whether they engaged with your first video or not.
HOW TO POST SMARTER?
Hopefully, you've posted one or two videos before you've reached this far in the course, but if you haven't, I'm going to show you what my go-to posting strategies are.
Each strategy will be talked about in detail to give you a better understanding of what "goes viral."
COME BACK FOR 10/13 UPDATE
THE VIDEO REPOST
Reposting videos that have proven their popularity is a great way to grow your account, but I recommend you give credit and don't do it too often. You can screen record, crop the video, and then post to TikTok with credit in the description, comment, or in the video.
Controversial topics and asking for the personal opinions of your viewers can take you far as long as you're not talking about anything that is against the ToS. Example: Pineapple on pizza? Yes or no?
Clickbait works on TikTok. It's extremely shareable, and the users love to be the first to "discover" things. If Buzzfeed would publish it, it's probably a smart idea to share it.
THE NEW INFORMATION
Like we addressed just before, DISCOVERY is key on TikTok. Be sure to follow industry leaders in your niche to stay on top of new news.
THE ORIGINAL CONTENT
A word of advice. No one cares about you or the content you create until you establish yourself. It's a harsh truth, and it's true for my own content. I recommend you create original clips regularly, but it is NOT the best for growth.